On computer networks, the use of an IP address is very important as the address of each host that is incorporated in the network. To set, change, or change the IP Address on a computer is very easy, because the Windows operating system already provides a GUI (Graphical User Interface) facility.
In this article, Yiptechid will provide guidance on how to make changes or provide IP address settings on a computer. As we know, there are two ways to provide an IP address, namely static and dynamic.
Here are the steps you can take to change, change, or give an IP address on a computer with Windows OS.
- Enter the control panel
- Then in the Network and Internet section, select View network status and tasks.
- After that you will be directed to the Network and Sharing Center page.
- On the left menu panel select Change adapter settings.
- In this section, select which adapter you want to set the IP address for.
- In this example I chose Local Area Connection. On the adapter icon, right click, then select Properties.
- After that you will be faced with the Properties dialog box. Select Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP / IPv4), then click properties.
In this section, you will be shown a filling form. As I said earlier, there are two methods of assigning an ip address, namely static and dynamic.
Setting IP Address in Windows Static (Manual)
In order to be able to fill in manually, you must give a check list on the option Use the following ip address. Then you can fill in the form using the ip address you want. After that click OK.
Dynamic IP Address Settings in Windows (Automatic)
To be able to get this dynamic IP address (DHCP), make sure your computer is connected to a computer / network device that acts as a DHCP Server.
If you are connected, check the list of options Obtain an IP address automatically and leave the filling form blank. Click OK. Then your computer will automatically have an IP address.
The difference between the two methods is, when the IP address is set manually, the IP address number will not change unless it is reset by the administrator. Meanwhile, if you use the DHCP method, the ip address can change according to the available ip address.
That’s the way to set the IP address in Windows. Very easy, right? of course you can too.